Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I Don't Fit In A Box

Everyone has pre-judgements on others and how we expect someone to be from their appearance or what the say. Many times we're correct in our thinking and other times we are really far off. 99% of the time what people think of me is completely wrong, at least from first impressions.

The thing about me is that I know who I am. This didn't happen over night and it's also a topic that I'm interested in. I believe that people should really get to know themselves and be happy with who they are. Don't be what everyone else wants you to be, explore what makes you tick, your passions, desires, wants, strengths, weaknesses and so forth. My entire life I've been exposed to massive changes and it's become something that I thrive on. Most people fear change, I love change. I've learned about myself through lots of failures, good times and more importantly bad times. I've dealt with family issues like most people except I lost a lot of family members early on. I've supported myself since the age of 18 and put myself through college. It was an experience that I hated, yet loved as it really has opened me up to a lot more as a young person. I've had my own gender questioned as I learned I was born with Klinefelter's aka an extra female chromosome - XXY as a young adult. I've worked and continue to work as a part time model to support myself as a college student. I'm a die hard Cubs, Bulls & Steelers fan who loves to write, have good conversation, travel, eat great food and try almost anything at least once. I'm a tattoo enthusiast with a body covered in ink that is going into business professionally and I appreciate art of many different mediums.
Here's a fun & recent "graffiti" style I did on a chalk board last quarter that I sketched out really quick for my teacher as I know he loves graffiti. It says his name, "Dr. Stoner".


Some of my looks/styles through the years

2012 - Business Man celebrating my job offer
 2011 Halloween - I was Jeffree Star & dyed my hair pink
 2007 B&W Art Photo of Me
 2010 Me & my best friends (Chicago bar)
 My chest tattoo - Finished Jan 2011 - My favorite personal piece
 2010 Halloween - I was Boy George (I like androgynous looks if you haven't noticed yet)
 High School senior Picture (I had a shaved head for a very long time)

I'm a standing, walking, talking oxymoron. I bend the norms yet I can also be "typical" and boring. If I've learned anything in life to this point, it's that life goes by quick so enjoy it.

I'm excited for this class because I know that it will help me in the future. It will actually assist me in two ways.

1. I'm going to be an account executive for a media company so it's important to be savvy in social media

2. As an independent alt model social media has created the brand that is me. It really is everything and this class will only improve my skills.

After years of college I know that the media field is for me. I actually kind of stumbled into having an interest in media when I was about 19. A friend of mine went to Columbia College Chicago that has one of the best, if not the best college radio program in America. I thought I wanted to do on air talent but rather quickly found out that wasn't for me. I slid over to sales and have been passionate since.

This class will expand my knowledge and skills in blogging, creating a marketable presence and brand, the do's as well as the don'ts and trends to pick up on in the future.

Some of my personal goals are to be making a 6 figure salary within 10 years max of graduating with my B.S. I plan to travel the world as well as live in at least one other country for more than 1 year. Goals within this class are not as well defined but as I'm currently in the storming of forming a new personal/professional blog I hope that this class can answer some of my questions and help me along the path of creating a new brand about myself.

Everything I've learned about social media marketing, planning, etc is all self-taught. There aren't too many classes on topics of social media or anything even semi-related as it's still relatively new to everyone. Because of this I felt that it was important to get in on the ground floor, sort of speak.
I'm excited to see where this class takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment